Monday 13 December 2010

Stars - The Beauty of Typography

This is an interesting and inspiring piece of typography I stumled across on I Love Typography. As a whole, I like typography, but I find a lot of the time it's hard for me to get genuinely excited about a collection of letters.
However, this image, titled 'Stars' that I found has a much more inspiring, exciting approach:


This piece uses a quote from one of my all-time favourite artists, Vincent Van Gogh, which is always a point of interest for me. The quote itself is all about dreaming and that despite the fact nothing is really certain, the imagination is always there for enjoyment and freedom.

The piece itself is really exquisitely put together. I am not a big fan of obnoxious curly fonts, but the swirls and elegant twists that border this quote are perfectly placed and add to the 'dream like' quality of this piece.

At a closer look, you'll see that the lettering itself is made of tons of tiny stars:


This not only adds a brilliant 'distressed' look to the overall type, but it also fills me with a genuine sense of awe and pride that someone took the time to pay attention to the small details of this piece. Typography is often there to grab attention from a distance, and it's nice to have an artist pay attention to such a small detail in his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment